Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Craigslist Finds

I was very good this week and didn't buy anything off of Craigslist.  But I still like looking.

For a while, right around school starting, Craigslist here in Austin was overloaded with overpriced ugly furniture.  It's a smart thing to do - people are desperate, moving into new apartments, etc. - but it made my virtual shopping habit a little boring.

Thankfully things have picked up.  Here are a few beauties I found:


These were 2 chairs for sale for $30.  The only reason I didn't buy them was because there weren't actually in Austin - but in a small town about an hour away.  Otherwise I would be sitting in one right now.  Because I've been saving  this picture in my design folder for ages (under the name "lovelovelovelovelove.bmp"):


How I wish I had an office that looked like that.  Instead I have an office whose only decor can be called "wood tone" - varying shades from the wood paneling (!) to the wood desk (actually very nice) to the faux wood craft table and laminate wood filing cabinet.  You're jealous, right?

Then there was this beaten up dresser for $30:

Which would look lovely re-done shabby chic style - distressed white, maybe a stained top, bin pulls.  You know, the "blog" look.


Red Hen Home
 This solid oak table has been for sale for quite a while, so the owner has knocked the price down to only $25.  Good thing I just bought my own oak dining set.

I love the bottom detailing.


I think it would look great as a desk.  Because I love a place to prop up my feet.


And lastly, there's this cool chair.  It's a Swedish antique from the 1910s-20s (according to the seller).  $50. 

Which, of course, needs an Anthropologie-inspired redo.

And yes, I realize that this Anthropolgie chair is at least 2 years old.  But have you seen their new chairs?  I'm sorry, but this is ugly.

So is this.

And this.


It looks like the Cosby Sweater Collection. 

So save yourself about a thousand dollars and pick up something from Craigslist.

No comments:

Post a Comment