Thursday, October 14, 2010

What's Wrong With This Picture?


Remember a while back when I was so excited about scoring a $700 Land of Nod bed for free off of Craigslist?  Well, this is what happened to the overhead light when I was setting the bed up. 

It's a fairly small room and I was working on my own - so, there's a chance that it could have happened to anyone.  However, the chance was exponentially increased by the fact that I'm a known klutz.  In the version of myself that only exists in my head, I'm very graceful, but in reality I move through life with the elegance of a wounded elephant.  Usually I'm a bit too short to ruin overhead lights - but put a twin mattress in my hands and lookout!

I'm super bummed about the light.  So bummed that I haven't thrown it away yet - even though there is no saving it.  Mostly because it was one of the first things I bought specifically for this house (at Lowe's, on clearance - you know me).  I bought it because it reminded me of this chandelier which is by a famous artist, but I long ago lost the reference so I have no idea.

Looking back at this picture, I don't think I would be drawn to the same light fixture again.  Because my tastes have changed in the three years since I bought the light.  But it did look very pretty in the girls' room - soft and glowy - romantic and girly.

I'm not going in that direction with the new light fixture.  I'm thinking big, flush mounted pendant drum shade. 




Both pictures courtesy of DecorPad.com
I want to try and salvage the base part of the light fixture instead of replacing the entire thing.  If I can find a drum shade that is.  Why are lamp shades so expensive?  It has me seriously considering going into the light shade business.  The goal is to find a cheap one that either works well as is, or only needs a little modification, a la Young House Love's Office light re-do.


However, I've had no luck yet.  I've been seriously considering making one from scratch using parts from here and instructions from here.  Only, I'm not really that brave.  Okay, I'm actually just really cheap and can't stand the idea of wasting money on a project that might have a really wonky outcome.

So for now I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a deal and not dive into the art of custom-made lamp shades.  And I might actually throw away the busted glass.  Because it's good to let go.  Especially if something is potentially harmful.

No comments:

Post a Comment